December 1, 2011

2 Eight Balls and an 1/8 of Weed

Is it just me, or does it seem like the interesting stuff I've been talking about lately revolves around Anthony?

Had another interesting conversation with him yesterday, although this time not so nice. I guess to make things a little easier, I'll give you a little background information.

When I first got sober 6.5 years ago, I was scared and lonely. Plus I think my mohawk was a little off-putting to some people. So I was trying to meet people that had some similar interests as me, other than getting clean. About 3 months into it, I met Anthony. He was around my age, I think he's 5 years older than me. And he liked metal and punk, like me. We had a lot of interests in common, and we hit it off really well right away.

I was a kid who drank too much, smoked weed, and didn't go to school. He was a guy who drank if he wanted, smoked a lot of weed, and did WAY too much cocaine. But we were both sober, and we grew close. For years he was, and still is, one of my best friends. We've done pretty much everything together. We've always been honest with each other; although sometimes not quite timely with that honesty. It took me months to tell him about my relapse, and it wasn't until this year that I told him I was gay.

The last couple months he's been having some money problems; not having enough for rent or groceries or whatever. So since I have a job and some extra money, I've been helping him out. He'd been losing some days at work, so it just wasn't there. It got to the point where he owed me around $500 when he started paying me back. Kind of. He'd give me a little here, a little there. But he'd always borrow more than he'd pay back. Since I'm still at home, rent free, it wasn't a huge deal for me. I knew I'd get it back eventually.

So yesterday we're hanging out at his place, and we're outside smoking a cigarette, when he says he needs to tell me some stuff. Usually, that's how he'd start off when he needed some money, so I just rolled my eyes and said it'd be nice for once to hear something good from him and not something bad. He laughed, but said it was still something bad. So I figured he needed some more money. I wish he had.

He then proceeded to tell me that for the last 5 months or so, he'd been doing coke and smoking weed again. And it wasn't just like a little bit. At first, his tolerance was pretty low, since it had been so long since he'd done it. But being the addict that he is, that didn't last long. He said it had gotten to the point where he was doing 2 eight balls of coke (3.5 ounces per ball, 7 ounces total. Which, according to my sources, averages to about $200 a ball) and an 1/8 of weed a day. Now I must say, at this point I was completely shocked. Anthony had always told me that if he started doing cocaine again, he'd die. And I can see that if he had continued doing it, he would have.

I was trying to process all of this, and then the thought popped into my head, and I made the mistake of asking, "How much of the money that I've given you went to coke?" Feeling my stomach drop as I asked it, and really, really not wanting to know the answer. And he replied, "All of it."

We continued talking about it, and he's been sober for about 3 weeks now, and getting back into the program full force, and all that jazz, which is good. But now I'm left feeling conflicted. One the one hand, I'm happy that he's sober again, and that he told me everything. The other hand, I'm sad that it happened at all. And I'm disappointed that it happened, and that he didn't come to me for help. And I'm hurt that he used me for money to get drugs. And I feel like I dropped the ball; that I should have seen or noticed something. I'd been seeing him every or every other week during the whole time. And I'm also fucking pissed that he lied to my face so he could go get high. It's so much, that I don't know what to feel. Being one myself, I know you can't really be that mad at an addict, because that's just how they are. They lie, cheat, and steal to get what they want. But I feel that because of the history we have, it should have been different. But I also know, that history doesn't mean shit.

I talked to my dad about it, who is also sober, and he understood all of those emotions, but didn't really have an answer for me. So I don't know what to do or think. Do I treat him the same, like nothing happened? Do I kick his ass? I don't want to lose him as a friend, so I don't want to just walk away. But I don't know how to react. I was used, and that is not a good feeling. I don't know. I feel so numb to it right now. Help?

143

_Kevin

7 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, and I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! (for those that celebrate it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Kev, that's a tough one.

    Well, you can't trust him out of your sight; as you said, that is how addicts are...you're his friend and he had no trouble lying to you.

    DO NOT give him any more money! If he says he needs something, like food, buy him some food, etc. Make *sure* YOUR money ain't going up HIS nose!!!

    I mean, you are getting ready to move out, and move on with your life, so you don't need any deadbeat druggies bringing you down.

    Be his friend, but don't be a sucker.

    Love,

    -Andy

    (ps, you need to kick the cigarettes, you'll need the money for rent. lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin

    As I see it, the drugs got hold of Anthony, and once they had hold of him, they drove him to do things that he would not have done otherwise.

    How do you treat him now? With more understanding of what he's capable of, and appropriate caution. As WARPed said, don't give him money (though I would guess that he won't ask for it, now he's sober again). He's been honest enough to tell you what happened, so I think he deserves the support of your friendship while he's trying to get his life back together again. Kicking his ass probably won't help matters. Perhaps the most important question is: can you forgive him for how he used you?

    As for the money, I think you'll have to regard that as gone. Anthony may find a way to repay you, some time, but I think nagging him to get it back won't help either of you. As Shakespeare said: "Neither borrower nor lender be; for loan oft loses both itself and friend."

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should definitely be his friend, just be careful that the friendship doesn't drag you back into the hole he's digging for himself. As to the money, if he needs money for food, buy him a meal. I can't say I truly understand addiction, but I know enough to know that even close friends will lie, cheat, steal from whomever they can to get the money they need. They will also appear 100% normal unless you "catch them" - but you know this, and know that's how he hid it from you.

    I do think you've seen the last of that money. I hope he pays it back, but I have my doubts.

    Don't kick him to the curb, he'll need his friends...but I know that you feel used and you were. But that's probably not a reason to dump him. It happens. I do think you can let him know, in no uncertain terms, that he's on shaky ground. Unfortunately, a lot of addicts have to hit whatever their own personal low point is before they truly get their acts together.

    Good luck.
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys.

    I'm not worried about the money. If I get it back, great. If not, oh well. Lesson learned, if anything.

    I never wanted to get rid of him as a friend, even though the thought crossed my mind. I plan on being there to support him in his efforts to get back on track and rebuild his life again. I'm just not sure how to feel about it inside. I think the biggest feelings now are happy and hurt. The anger is still there, but I know addicts, and I know that wasn't really him; it was the drugs. I think this is going to be a situation where I have to put him first. I need to let him get his feet underneath himself again before I can approach him on my feelings. And if he does start working a program again, he'll come to me anyways. (Step 9 of the 12 steps of AA: made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.)

    I'll give him some time, and then we'll have our conversation. No point in trying to talk to him about it while he's still in the fog.

    Thanks for the comments guys!

    143

    _Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kev,

    I apologize, my comment sounded like I was calling your friend a deadbeat...and I really didn't mean that.

    But sometimes older guys will take advantage of a kind-hearted younger person like you...again, I'm not saying that Anthony is doing that, but just be aware of it.

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hold him to his responsibilities, to himself and to you regarding the moneey.
    It is not the money that is important, but the sense of pride and self-worth that being responsible brings, whether it is recognized or not within the individual.
    I have trouble understanding that you couldn't recognize the signs of trouble as they were occuring, unless he simply had reasonable excuses for being off work and you believed them without checking further (which would be perfectly valid on the word of an addict who would be trying to deny problem).
    Nonetheless, you are where you both are at the moment. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
    Regardless of how long it takes, expect the money to be repaid. There was a reason he stopped meeting his responsibilities for his expenses, but you didn't acknowledge them. Do him a favour and hold him to those responsibilities, and be suspicious if he starts to let them slide again.

    ReplyDelete