April 6, 2011

Elementary, My Dear Watson

Well, middle school to be exact.

Was listening to my iTunes on shuffle today (something I don't usually do, since I have 30,000+ songs) and something came on that brought back some good, old memories.

Back when I was in 7th grade I was in a band with some friends of mine. We mainly played cover songs, and toyed with the idea of writing our own. I was the drummer, although I had a brief stint as the guitar player. Anyways, we played the school talent show, I think covering a Nirvana song. The bass player's older brother, Trevor, was also a drummer, and in a band playing too. (At the time, he was in 9th grade, so the top of the ladder. Everyone in 9th grade was cool, because they were the oldest). Well about a week after the talent show, I was at the mall with some friends and I saw one of the guys from Trevor's band. He came over and was like, 'Hey, you're the drummer for the band with Trevor's brother, right?' I'm really nervous, because someone older is actually acknowledging me (middle school is so weird) and actually knows who I am. So I said yes. He complemented my performance and said I was really good for someone my age. I said thanks and then he walked away.

About another week later, he (Bobby, by the way) comes up to me at my locker at school. After talking for a bit, he asks if I want to start a band with him. Now I'm really blown away. Trevor was a much better drummer than I was, and here was Bobby asking if I wanted to be his drummer. Damn. So I said sure, and we made plans to get together after school that weekend and jam.

A couple of months go by and we've spent almost every night in Bobby's basement getting to know each other and working on songs. We had 6 songs done, and about 5 more in the process. We decided to record a demo, or an E.P., whatever you want to call it. One of the counselors at school had a portable recording board and agreed to record us after school in the auditorium.

So we set a date and went and recorded. Unfortunately, we did it right after school, so a bunch of kids kept coming in to see what was going on. So we'd have to start over. We finally got it done, and the counselor said he'd take it home and mix it a bit.

About 2 weeks later he had the finished product and gave it to us. I must say, for being as young as we were, and the free recording, I'm impressed with what we came up with. I haven't listened to this stuff in years, and it was a nice trip down memory lane.

Oh, and for a reference to the title of the post, the band's name was Watson.

I'm on drums, Bobby is on bass and vocals, and our friend Joe is on guitar. And no, Bobby isn't British. He's just weird and decided to sing like that.

Angered Youth



Product Of Society



Break Them Chains



Tonight, Being Me, Optimistic (I can't remember why these three are all one track, but they're separate songs.)



Just thought I'd share with you guys!

Hope you all are well!

143

_Kevin

3 comments:

  1. Great story, Kev!

    Brings back lots of memories for me too, except we called it "junior high school."

    :-D

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete