April 11, 2011

NOTS

No, not nuts, haha. NOTS, or Night On The Street.

I'm not sure any of you were around last year when I first started my blog, but one of my first posts talked about Night On The Street.

Basically, it's a charity event to help raise money and awareness about youth homelessness. It was started by a foundation 'my' church has. I say 'my' church, because as I've said before, I'm not religious, but it was the church I went to as a kid. My parents and I have stayed somewhat active with them with things like this, and chaperoning ski trips, even though we don't attend. Well, my parents attend more than I do. In fact, this year my mom is the leader of the NOTS.

Anyways, the time is coming up again. This Friday night in fact. I'll be doing the 'security' shift from 3AM to 6:30AM again, and possibly helping to construct boxes.

It starts with some information about homelessness, some group activities, and all that jazz, then the kids (around 4 or 500) spend the night in the parking lot of the church in cardboard boxes. They're only allowed to bring a blanket or sleeping bag. No pillows, cell phones, ipods, to try and make the experience as real as possible. It's a pretty cool thing, I think.

Nights like this always make me think about the people who are stuck on the street every night, like DJ's friend Josh from last year. It makes me appreciate what I have, and makes me realize my life isn't as bad as I think it is at times.

Here's a link to the website if you want more information. If you watch the slide show on the main page for a while, you'll see a picture of two people sitting on chairs in the middle of a parking lot in the middle of the night. It's hard to see them properly, but that is me and my friend Anthony taking a break from walking around all night. I'm on the right, and Anthony is on the left.

http://www.nightonthestreet.org/index.php?page=home

Hope you guys are well.

143

_Kevin

3 comments:

  1. This is really interesting and it sounds like a good program. I hope you raise lots of money and that it gives other young people the same appreciation for how good they have it compared to some other folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this done in other places, it's a pretty cool program to help youth see how some of the most invisible people in our country live.

    It's good you're helping out with this. And the picture sure didn't give anything away!

    Interesting geography note: As I was watching the slideshow, I kept wondering if you were 2 hours down the road from me in the "Triangle" are of NC, since there is a Mayflower UCC in Durham, and I saw another sign that I thought said Chapel Hill. Guess you got a Mayflower UCC and a town named Chapel Hill up there! Small world.

    Have a good time. I guess it's still pretty chilly in mid-April in Minnesota!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kev,

    Can't get the slideshow to view, but this all sounds very worthwhile, good for you for participating.

    Your parents sound cool, too!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete