May 17, 2011

5ves

Heya guys.

So you remember me saying I was feeling down? Well I found (well, I already knew about it, just didn't think to try it) something that makes me feel better; shooting. As you may remember, I inherited some guns from my grandpa when he died. So the other day Aaron (who also just bought a gun) decided to go shooting. We looked around and found an indoor range not too far away, and headed out. Stopped on the way for some ammo, and then got to the range. I was a little nervous walking in, because I had never shot in a range before. Usually when I would shoot, it would be at someone's farm or something, but this was more formal and kind of intimidating. Plus, it was a new gun, and I wasn't sure what to expect.

We went in, payed for a lane a piece and some targets. Then we walked into the range and got things set up. I was still nervous, but excited too. Once I got everything set up and loaded, I raised the gun, aimed at the target, and took a deep breath. Since it was my grandpa's gun, which he'd never shot, I said in my head 'this is for you, grandpa', and pulled the trigger. At this point, I'd love to say I hit the bullseye, but I didn't. Being a new gun, it took me a few shots to get used to it, but soon I started hitting dead on, or close to.

When I was a kid, I'd always go shooting with my grandpa. He was a huge hunter, and had dozens of guns. I remember the first time I shot a .22 up at the cabin in the woods with him. The same gun, in fact, that he first shot when he was about 10, that is now sitting in our gun safe. When I got a little older, he taught me how to shoot a shot gun, and then how to shoot clay pigeons. I have a lot of good memories of shooting with him. Although, not of hunting. I never was big into hunting. The only time I went, we went squirrel hunting and I didn't like it. I thought it was too much sitting in the woods being quite, and not enough shooting. I'd much rather spend a day shooting at targets than sitting around waiting to kill an animal.

We spent about an hour at the range and then called it quits. I never realized how expensive it is to shoot a hand gun. Over the course of that hour, I spent $50 in ammo, and only shot about 100 rounds. Plus the $20 for the range. Not something I'll be doing every day. But I walked out of there feeling really good. It was something that I never got to share with my grandpa, but it felt like he was there anyways.

On Sunday, my friend Josh and I went to the LynLake Festival. Basically, they shut down a major intersection of South Minneapolis and have a huge party all day. They have music, food, merch booths, and random activities. I had never been, because I'd always forget when it was, and remember right as it was ending. So this year I wanted to make sure I made it.

Picked up Josh and made it there around 3:30. We really wanted to see Heiruspecs play, which was at six, so we had some time to kill. We just walked around people watching and having a good time. Josh liked that it was one of the few times you can walk down the street drinking a beer, right next to a cop, and not get in trouble.

We ran into some other friends and staked out a good place to see the stage. While standing around, I caught sight of a very interesting billboard.


That's probably the funnest piece of graffiti I've seen. I think the Spitting Cobra's have been practicing!

Anyways, Heiruspecs finally took the stage, and blew my mind. I'd never seen them before, and had only heard a handful of songs, but I was very impressed. They're a local hip hop group from St. Paul, MN.

After their set, the festival was over, so we headed home. Shortly after, I got a headache, and my last post came about.

Today, I hung around with Erik for a while. Since his last day of work was last Saturday, he had nothing to do and was just hanging around. Once Demian got off work, the three of us went for a small bike ride around the city. We spent about an hour or so hanging in Loring Park talking and having a good time. Then we decided to bike down to the lakes for the sunset. We got there just in time, and saw it go down, which was pretty cool looking. We hung around for a little longer, then made our way home.

Tomorrow, Erik and I, and maybe Anthony, are going to go water skiing...Finally. I've been trying to go since the ice came off the lake back in late March/early April, but it just hasn't happened. Between my dad being out of town for work and the weather sucking, it didn't work out. But now that Erik isn't at work all day, and it's back to being nice out, we can finally go. But I'm sure I'll regret it since the water is still cold, and my body will hurt pretty bad on Wednesday.

Well I guess that's about it.

Hope you guys are well!

143

_Kevin



What's really cool about them, is the scratching you hear isn't done on a turntable like everyone else. It's done by voice. So the second vocalist you see is doing it.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice post, thanks. I'm glad you found something else you enjoy doing, but shooting is expensive. You will just have to space the events out enough to be affordable.

    The festival sounds very nice. The billboard is funny. I wonder if the 'r' fell off somehow or was intentionally omitted? Or is that an electronic one? If it is, someone certainly has a sense of humor.

    Man, surely where you are it must be way too cool for water skiing this time of year. I hope you don't freeze your butt off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kev!

    Sounds like a good time at the range. Like you, I'd rather target shoot than go hunting.

    Actually, I've never been hunting!

    I was in the Army Infantry, so I got to fire every small arms they had...M-14, M-16, M-60 and .50 Cal machine guns, grenade launchers, mortars and recoiless rifles, .38 and .45 Cal pistols, etc.

    The last time I fired a weapon was when I was in the Army (1977!) so I guess I'm not that into it. lol!

    The festival thingy sound cool...the Heiruspecs are interesting.

    I was checking them out on Amazon...don't they ever actually "sing?"

    I got tired listening to that guy rap every song!

    You don't have a wetsuit for skiing?

    TTFN,

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love going to the range. I'm wondering what you're shooting that costs 50 cents a shot! Sounds like my .44 Magnum! I can shoot my 9mm forever on about $20 or so. Thing that kills me is the local range makes you buy your ammo from them, so it's extra pricey. I used to hunt some, the range is fun now.

    The festival sounds like fun. We have the Richmond Folk Festival every October and it is awesome! Sounds like y'all had fun. Good times.

    And yeah, Andy is right, I'd sure get a wetsuit if I was in the water in bloody Minneapolis in May! Maybe you've got balls of teflon or something, but that water is bloody cold this time of year - and I base that on being in the water in New England in July!

    Cool post, thanks, Kev!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys.

    You guys must be getting soft in your old age. My family doesn't believe in wet suits. The water was a balmy 13.7 C today. No problem. The first time I went skiing last year, back in late March, it was 1 C. So a big improvement. (For you mathematically challenged, that would be about 56 F and 34 F, respectively.)

    Brian - I'm pretty sure someone climbed up there and spray painted the R blue to match the background.

    Andy - I love how .50 cal machine guns and grenade launchers qualify as 'small arms', haha. Heiruspecs do not sing. Being a hip hop group, they stick to rapping. Some artists will sing as well, but most don't. I can't stand the stupid rap shit on the radio, but stuff like this, and Atmosphere, P.O.S., Brother Ali, basically all the local Minneapolis artists, I really like. Since they're not 'famous' they don't release a shitty song just to make money. Each and every song they put out is for the love of music, so it's a quality product. But to each his own.

    Jay - I've got a .357 Mag, but was shooting .38's because it was slightly cheaper. It worked out to about .45 cents a round. The .357 were about .50-.60 cents. Like I said, not exactly cheap. But it's a fun thing to do every once and a while. My brother got a .44 Mag from my grandpa. He hasn't shot it yet, but he wants to before he leaves for his trip. He was looking through a sporting catalog the other day looking at ammo, and they had some .44 rounds that were 300 grain, and $35 for a box of 20! That's crazy! But I guess if you REALLY needed to kill someone, and make sure there was no head left, it would do the trick. Not the best for a paper target though....

    Hope you guys are well.

    143

    _Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  5. So your family believes in hypothermia???

    :-D

    ReplyDelete