June 30, 2012

River's Edge

Hiya! Miss me? I missed you. We should get together more often.

So River's Edge happened last weekend. I won't go into huge detail, but it was the coolest thing ever! Most of the bands throughout the day we didn't care about, but it was nice to hang out with music going on in the background. A surprise was seeing Sublime (with Rome). I really like Sublime, but the videos I'd seen of the 'with Rome' (the new version of Sublime since Bradley died) weren't that good. It just wasn't the same, and I thought they shouldn't continue under the Sublime name. But seeing them live was a big surprise. They were actually pretty damn good. I had heard that the original drummer had left the band last year, but didn't know who replaced him. Then come to find out that it was non other than Josh Freese, from A Perfect Circle, The Vandals, and Devo fame, among others. He's been one of my favorite drummers for a long time, and I'd only seen him live once before. So that was a great surprise. That probably made me like Sublime better too.

Josh drumming with Nine Inch Nails



Then came Tool. It's kind of hard for me to remember everything that happened, but I know it was awesome. Seeing them outside was interesting. It was hard, since they have a lot of visuals and the sun was still up when they started, but they made it work. And they busted out some new visuals that were amazing. I tried to find good quality videos on youtube, but there really aren't any. I found one that's pretty good though.



Sunday, all I cared to see was Puscifer. They went with an airline theme (Vagina Air) and it was hilarious seeing Maynard and crew dressed as a pilot and flight crew for the whole set, even though it was 90+ degrees out. Again, I don't remember much, but I'd say it was the best time I've seen them live. I looked for videos, and they were even worse than the Tool one's, so I won't bother. I'm hoping sometime soon some good quality ones will show up, but who knows.

Also, last weekend was Minneapolis' gay pride fest. The timing sucked, because I was in St. Paul at the show, so I couldn't make it to any of the festivities. But I heard it was a great time, and I'm proud to live in such a gay friendly city. Yeah sure, we still have the fucking assholes that think it's an abomination and all that noise, but as a whole, I think we're pretty accepting. They even re-lit the new(ish) 35W bridge for the weekend.




Uhhh.....What else...Oh, I guess I can upload the other song I wrote for E.M.P. Again, it's a little different than how it was going to be with the band, but it's still fun to play. Oh, and it helps if you record with a metronome if you're not going to record drums first....



I guess that's about it for now. Working through the weekend, and a bit on the 4th. Going to see Crankshaft and The Gear Grinders on Monday with my mom, so that'll be cool. Have you guys checked them out yet? Have you gone bankrupt giving them all your money yet? Yeah? Good! (whore moment)

So yeah. That's it. I should go to bed now. It's almost 4 AM. Smoke a smoke, and we'll see what happens I guess.

Hope you guys are well!

143

_Kevin

2 comments:

  1. So it's amazing what old farts can do, eh?

    River's Edge sounds like it was a pretty cool time.

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great time at Rivers Edge! I love outdoor music festivals like this one.

    Haven't heard Chrankshaft or Gear Grinders, have to do that when I get home and have real Internet access again.

    Thanks for the latest song, I'll d/l it when I'm back, too.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete