July 14, 2010

Over Thinking, Over Analyzing Separates The Body From The Mind.

Thanks everyone for the comments on the last post. I've thought it over some, and I am going to tell my parents. Now I just have to figure out when/how. I'm going up to the cabin this weekend by myself, maybe my brother, so it'll be after that. I'm hoping to plan out how to approach them. Not so much how I want the conversation to go, because I can't predict that, just how to break the ice.

JJ, like I told Rowan a couple of months ago, age is just a number. I don't care if you're 10 or 100. If you have knowledge I can learn from, I want to hear it. And you definitely have knowledge. I remember reading your post about when your parents caught you and Mike. Not how I would want them to find out, but it could have been worse. You were lucky enough to have very loving parents who are very supportive.

Jimlad, well they know it's not drugs, because I've been sober for over 5 years, although I guess they could suspect a relapse. Talking about sex with parents sucks, but at this point I see it as a necessary thing. And your right, I think it will be a lot better to tell them, and then ask for help with my situation. Instead of just saying I'm gay, and walking away.

Time will tell. But I'm sure it will be fine. I just have to get the courage to tell them.

The last couple of days I've been putting a lot of this energy into my drumming. It helps me to clear my head, and feel better about myself. Over the weekend I was drumming so much, and really, really fast, that when I stopped and stood up, I couldn't put weight on my right leg and I almost fell over. I guess that's what happens when you do 2+ hours of 200 bpm (beats per minute). Gotta love punk.

But the last couple days has been more intricate. TOOL has always been one of my favorite bands to drum to, but it is some of the most complicated stuff ever. The little accents and nuances are ridiculous.

The last month I've been working on their song, Schism, and I've finally gotten down to where I don't even have to think about it. It's my current favorite song to drum too.



This week has been the song Lateralus, from the same-named album, and I'm about 97% there. I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with time signatures, but most music is in 4/4. Four beats per measure, quarter note gets the beat. Well to start Lateralus, it is in 4/4, then the chorus goes one measure of 9/8, one measure of 8/8, and one measure of 7/4. It's really confusing, and if you don't understand me, I apologize. Then the verse is in 5/4, which isn't really too bad, because it's consistent. There is a breakdown about half way through, where the bass, guitar, and vocals are in 6/8 and the drums are in 5/8. Not only is it a confusing drum part, when you play with the song, the rest of the band is different and it gets really confusing.



Here is a breakdown of the 5/8, 6/8 part. (not by me)



I figure it's a great way to pass the time, and put my energy into positive things, instead of worrying what's going to happen with my parents.

And finally, if you want to really get crazy, there is a mathematical equation called the Fibonacci sequence. If you don't know what that is, basically you start with two numbers, 1 and 1. You add them together and you get 2. Then you take 1 and 2 together, and you get 3. Then 2 and 3, 5. You take the last two numbers and add them together. It goes on and on and on (like me right now) :P. When graphed it creates an indefinite spiral.

Anyways, TOOL likes to mess with your head a bit, so the lyrics in the song are delivered in the Fibonacci sequence, according to syllables. It is really rather interesting, although annoying at times because I can no longer just listen to the song. I have to sit there and analyze it. Which is also funny because the chorus starts with, 'over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.' This video does a better job explaining everything. And it has cool pictures from the Hubble telescope.



I don't know if anyone will find any of this interesting, but hey, it's my blog.

Again, thank you everyone for your comments.

Be well.

143

_Kevin

3 comments:

  1. I found this very music stuff interesting but way over my head. I wish I was smart enough to understand it all. I'll bet JJ eats it up since he's going to be getting into drumming.

    JJ always seems to get to the heart of things with his comments. Age certainly doesn't seem to matter with him: his reasoning and logic is certainly way above his actual age.

    Good luck with your parents. It sounds like you have a good plan. I hope it all goes well.

    I hope you have a nice weekend at the cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know Brian, he lost me. Maybe I find out later when I learn the drums to. Sorry Stickypants but I didn't understand it. Hugs JJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, I didn't really expect anyone to understand it. Probably the only person that would, is DJ's uncle, and he doesn't read this.

    JJ, maybe in time you will be able to understand all this stuff, but for now just learn the basics.

    Brian, that's one of the reasons JJ is so awesome.

    _Kevin

    ReplyDelete