November 4, 2010

FAGGOT

Hey guys.

Gabe posted a thing about not being bothered by words like queer, faggot, and whatnot. It reminded me of an article I had read a couple years ago about local punk band Faggot. Their singer, Tim Carrol, is gay, and in the article he explains on why he chose the name Faggot for the band. It's an odd story, as is the band, but I think he makes a good point about the name. If you'll bear through the more obscene, radical descriptions about the band, I think you'll find a good message. I'm sure the rest of the article you won't care about, so his story about this is on page 2.

Out Loud

I'm not a huge fan of their music, but I like the idea of trying to 'take it back'. Although, I think a lot of it is for shock value.

FAGGOT

Tim had something horrific happen in his life, and while he let it get to him for a while, he finally decided not to let it anymore. He is using that experience to try and make a difference, even if it involves wearing taco underwear and painting FAGGOT across his forehead.

What do you guys think about words like faggot and queer, and their offensive meanings?

143

_Kevin

4 comments:

  1. "Sticks and stones may break my bones" but words can hurt me too. Here is an article I found that tells me maybe I shouldn't let them: Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brian.

    Very interesting psychological point of view on the matter. Thanks for the link.

    143

    _Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think you know my opinion; while most people say it out of habit and many dont mean deliberate homophobia, i myself, as a homosexual find it offensive coz it is used as a pejorative.

    Just my two cents :P

    Rowan <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. So..are you done with Faggot? If not why dont you consider a show in Mankato,MN?
    thanks Chad
    chad@sleestaxvalley.com
    chad@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete