December 14, 2010

R.I.P.

So my grandpa went into the hospital today. He's been having kidney problems for a while, and it's inevitable that he will go on dialysis, just depends on when. His kidneys are working at about 10 percent, which is just about as low as they want to go. So he went in today to get some tests done. Tomorrow he is getting a special tube thingy implanted into his arm for the dialysis. He was only supposed to be there for today, and then go to the doctor's on Wednesday, but he didn't respond well to something they gave him and they want him to stay til Wednesday. The doctor said he would show up tomorrow instead of Wednesday too for some reason.

We all knew it would happen sometime, just didn't expect it to be this soon. The best case scenario on dialysis I think is 2 years. Pretty shitty. He's only 78, so not too old either. He should be fine for the immediate future, but no one knows for how long.

If all that wasn't bad enough, my grandma got a call today, saying my grandpa's brother is in the hospital with pneumonia, and has 24 hours to live. There were some complications with his Alzheimer's, and for all I know, he could be dead as I type this. I think the 24 hours started around 2 or 3 this afternoon.

My grandpa doesn't know this yet, and my mom, her sister, and my grandma are going to tell him in the morning. Although he may be dead by then. It really sucks, because my grandpa can't see his brother one last time, or say goodbye, because he's in the hospital too. Too bad they aren't in the same one.

I didn't know John (my grandpa's brother) real well, as I haven't seen him much since I was a kid, but what I do remember of him he is a great man. My mom really loves him, and is really shook up about all of this. It all happened so fast, and the timing with my grandpa isn't great either. My mom wants to go see John, but her main priority is to be with her father, to tell him, and in case something goes wrong with him.

So all in all, it really fucking sucks. I've got some weird thoughts going through my head, and know I won't sleep, so I took some sleeping pills to help. The right amount, not half a bottle, so don't worry. I can feel them starting to kick in, which is good.

I'll know more tomorrow, and I know tomorrow is going to be a hard day for everyone. John lived a good, full life, and I hope he is able to find peace.

143

_Kevin


3 comments:

  1. This is a part of life we all have to go through and it is never pleasant. I hope you got some sleep and can put things in the proper perspective. My condolences to you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sorry to hear this, Kevin.

    As Brian says, we all have to deal with this evnetually...but it's never easy.

    Make sure you make the most of your time with your Grandpa.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. kevin-
    i'm kinda new here on your blog. but i am so very sorry for what you and your family are going through. especially this time of year. i pray that God will give you guys peace and comfort as you deal with this. is there any update? - jeff

    ReplyDelete