October 21, 2010

Start Wearing Purple

Hey guys.

So today was the 'wear purple to remember the young souls who committed suicide' day. I forgot about it originally, and then remembered about halfway through the day. I got my hair cut about midday, and when I was in the shower getting the hair off myself, I remembered. So when I got out, I grabbed my 'Start Wearing Purple' t-shirt. It's for the band Gogol Bordello, but I thought it was the perfect shirt for today. Not only is it a vibrant purple, it tells people to wear purple too.

I'm not sure if my mom knew about the purple day, but when she saw me come out of my room with the shirt on, a small smile popped onto her face for a few seconds. Could have been nothing, or the fact that she thinks the shirt (and song) is funny, or maybe she knew what it was for, and was proud. Either way, I thought it was cool.

A while later, I was hanging out with Aaron at the BP, and a younger lady, probably 23 or so, came in to prepay some gas. She saw my shirt, and the first thing she said was, 'high five for wearing purple!' and gave me a high five. Thought that was pretty sweet. I'm pretty sure Aaron didn't know about the day, so he just laughed when he noticed it was a Gogol shirt. Oh well.

I hope today has had some effect on society, and people will finally start to realize that something needs to be done about the bullying. Not just against gay kids, but bullying in general. To quote a Bad Religion song:

'You might not think there's any wisdom in a fucked up punk rock song. But the way it is cannot persist for long, a brutal sun is rising on our sick horizon. It's in the way we live our lives, exactly like the double edge of a cold familiar knife.'

Anyways, I don't want to rant at you guys. You all know things need to change, so why tell you what you already know?

I hope everyone is well.

143

_Kevin

What else?



Oh, and Rowan, you're a bastard for stealing my song!

1 comment:

  1. Hehehehehe

    Unfortunately i don't have anything purple or else i would have worn it :/

    I may have outdone you on the song, but you done me over with the t-shirt, and the official video of this song, which is epic! :P

    Rowan <3

    ReplyDelete