February 7, 2011

Green Bay

Hey guys.

Well it was the Super Bowl today. I'm not a huge football fan, so I usually just watch for the commercials. And there were some pretty good ones this year.

But this year was special. My grandparents (on my mom's side) are HUGE Packers fans. They're both born and raised in Green Bay, and my grandma was one of the first Packers cheerleaders. And my great, great uncle (I think it's great great) was hall of fame inductee Tony Canadeo.

With my grandfather having just passed, we were all hoping for a Packers' win, thinking he could help 'influence' things. Well, as I'm sure you've heard, they won. And it was the greatest thing ever. Not because they won, although that's cool, but because for the first time since he died, I saw my grandma happy. She was jumping around screaming with everyone. I was smiling hugely, and mainly because of that, not the game. She kept thanking Jim for it too. She said they won it for him. I just thought it was really cool. It was nice to see her happy, even if just for a little while.

Another thing I think is pretty cool, is that my great uncle is on the Packer's Board Of Directors. So, since the Packers won today, he gets a Super Bowl ring too. I thought that was bad ass.

On Friday I saw my mom for the first time in a while, at least for more than 5 seconds, since she's been with my grandma so much. We went suit shopping for the funeral, and I ended up with an all black suit and black shirt. I know, kinda depressing, but I must say I look damn good in it. I'll steal one of my dad's ties for some color. As I was standing looking in a three-way mirror, my mom came up behind me and started crying. She kept saying how proud my grandpa would be, and how nice I looked. She could hear him saying, "Lookin good, KJ!" (KJ being my nickname he always called me). I wasn't really sure how well she was coping, but that let me know not as well as I thought. After about 10 seconds she pulled herself together though, and we kept going. I'm not sure what'll happen on Tuesday.

I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but my mom asked if I wanted to do a reading from the bible at the funeral. After thinking about it, I decided not to. Mainly because I don't like talking in front of people, and the emotions I'll be feeling. So Erik and my cousin Ryan are going to do it.

Then she asked tonight if I would be one of the people that brings the 'gifts' to the front of the church. Gifts being the wine and wafers for the communion. I don't have to speak, so I said yes. My cousin James and I will be doing it. All I do is go to the back of the sanctuary, grab a cup or tray, and walk it to the front. I've only been to a couple Catholic services with my grandparents, so I'm not too sure what to expect.

I found out the other day that they had my grandfather cremated, so there won't be a casket. My mom asked if I was ok with that, and I said yes. I don't have a problem with cremation. But last night I actually started to think about it. A picture of his body being burned came into my head and I started crying. I couldn't bring myself to think about it, so I pushed it out of my head. I'd never really thought about the process, just the end result. I'm still ok with it, it's just hard to think that his body isn't here anymore.

I guess that's about it. I probably won't post again until after the funeral, but you never know.

I hope you guys are well.

143

_Kevin

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad your grandma enjoyed the game and the results. It's good to know she was happy, at least for a while.

    It's good you found a way to participate in the funeral you can handle. I'm sure you will be glad you did that.

    I'm a fan of cremation myself. The person isn't the body, he's the spirit and that's departed. I don't want my remains tying up a spot of ground forever.

    I'm sure things will go ok on Tuesday. Say goodbye to your grandpa there and let him go, but always keep his memory fresh in your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kev,

    Can we call you "KJ?" :-)

    I'm not a real big fan of open casket viewing, and I'm fine with cremation.

    When my died, none of us kids (ages 8-20) went to his viewing or funeral; we wanted our rememberances to be of his life, not his death.

    When my Grandpa died a year later, I went to his viewing/funeral for my Grandma's sake...it was time for me to "man up."

    Have a great celebration of your Grandpa's life after the funeral!

    Love,

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. "When my DAD died..."

    :-|

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys can call me whatever you want. Well, as long as it's nice ;-P

    143

    _Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kevin-

    It'a kinda late so you may not get this before the service. But I hope tomorrow is a time of enjoying family as you all celebrate your Grandpa's life together. He seemed like a wonderful, happy, awesome, loving grandpa in that picture that you posted. And I think he would want his family to share that same love and happiness together. Hang in there, bro.

    peace and love - jeff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kevin, I just noticed this post... I'm sorry to be so late to say this, but I hope that the memories you have of your grandpa are good ones and that they sustain you during this sad time. I guess I've been too wound up in the chaos out there and should have been paying more attention to other people's sadness... I'm sorry for that...

    I hope you don't mind if I say a prayer tonight for your entire family and for your grandpa as well... If he's like my grandpa, he's not far away right now, Kevin, watching over you. I'll pray that his love fills your heart the way he would want it to... love, tman<3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for kind words guys, it means a lot.

    And Tman, don't worry. The fact that you're even here matters, not when.

    Took some sleeping pills, since my mom forgot to mention that I have to get up at 7 AM. I went to bed after 7 AM this morning, so it'll be interesting.

    Night.

    143

    _Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  8. sorry about your grandpa Kevin. That's great that the packers won the super bowl.

    ReplyDelete