January 27, 2011

My Heart Stopped Beating

Hi.

OK, so my brother was going to work on Aaron's car tonight/tomorrow night, so this afternoon before work Aaron comes over and drops it off at my house and we ride to work together. Work was work. The plan was to have Aaron drop me off at my house, then he'd take the truck home since he has to work tomorrow and I don't. So we leave the BP and we get to my house. I notice Erik's car isn't there, no surprise, but my dad's car was gone too. At first I thought Erik took that, and someone had his car. It wouldn't be the first time. Aaron had left one of the parts for his car at his house, so I was going to take one of my parents' cars and follow him so he wouldn't have to drive my truck really far, since gas is so expensive. So I ran inside to grab the keys to my mom's van. Then I noticed that my dad's phone and wallet were gone too. So I checked they're bedroom and neither of my parents were there. Wouldn't be too weird, except it was 11:30 at night, and they're rarely up that late, let alone gone, let alone on a Wednesday night. I thought something might have happened to my mom's friend with brain cancer, so I decided to drive by. Went back outside to Aaron and told him I was confused that they were gone. I got in the van and he followed in the truck. I drove by Mary's house, but there wasn't any cars there and all the lights were off. So they weren't there. I called my dad to ask where they were. Usually when we call each other we answer with DUDE!, just because we're weird. But this time he answered 'Kev' and his voice was really quite. I knew that wasn't good right away. I asked where they were, and he said Grandpa Jim (the one with the kidney problems) had gone into cardiac arrest and they were at the hospital. As soon as he told me that my brain shut down, and I felt all the blood drop from my face. I realized I was still driving and slammed on the breaks. Fortunately, we were on a side road with no traffic, and Aaron was a good distance behind me. I just sat there in the middle of the road trying to process things. They had managed to get his pulse back, but he was still unconscious. They didn't really know anything else at that point, so after talking a little more with my dad, we hung up. I got out of the car and went to tell Aaron. He wanted me to forget about him and to go to the hospital, but I didn't. I wanted to finish this, and then figure out what to do. I didn't want to sit at home alone, that was for sure. So he begrudgingly agreed, and we headed off to his house. It's about a 20 minute drive, and the whole way there I was numb. I just couldn't process what was happening. I grabbed the part from Aaron, and then headed home. On the way I called my dad and asked him what I should do. I wanted to go to the hospital, but wasn't sure if I should. He said I could, but then realized they wouldn't let a fourth person in. My grandma and parents were already there. So he just said to go home and think good thoughts. We talked a little more, then hung up. I called Erik to let him know what was happening, and he said he'd be home soon. I finished driving home and Erik was there. After I filled him in more, we spent the next hour watching tv in silence, then he went to bed and I got on here. I'm still numb, and don't know what to do. I told my parents I'd be up, and probably would have been anyways, and to call me if they learned anything. So I here waiting by the phone for any news. I really hope he doesn't die. I don't know what I'll do if he does. I'll let you guys know when I know something.

3 comments:

  1. I hope your Grandpa Jim survives this event. He obviously means a lot to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,

    Try to get to the hospital, they're usually lax about letting people in the room if the situation is serious.

    You are in my pryaers.

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey kevin-

    i pray that your grandpa has improved and that you are a lot more at peace. this is later so you probably already know something by now. but i'll still be praying for you.

    peace and love - jeff

    ReplyDelete