January 31, 2011

How Fragile Is The Flame That Burns Within Us All To Light Each Passing Day?

Hi.

Well, yesterday they pulled the breathing tube, but my grandpa kept breathing on his own. So they moved him into hospice. I was at work, while my parents were at the hospital. I was talking to my dad as he told me all this. I asked if there was a chance he would come back, but they said there was no response from my grandpa. They poked him in the eye with a q-tip, and tried to make him gag/cough with no results.

My mom called me earlier this morning, after having gone back to the hospital, and my grandfather passed away a little before 7 this morning. Although sad, we were all hoping it would be soon, since we knew he was already gone. He died Wednesday night when his heart stopped.

The doctors said that since he went into cardiac arrest, and didn't have a heart attack, he went instantly without pain, and without fear. He was just dead.

I guess with a heart attack, the heart fills with too much blood, and it can't pump it out, so it gives up. It's painful, slow, and doesn't always kill you. With cardiac arrest, your heart just stops beating. No warning, no pain, no nothing. You're just dead. So that was nice to hear that he didn't suffer.

Erik and I got to say our goodbyes on Saturday before I went to work, so I've been expecting this, and have slowly come to terms with it. It's still sad, and I think I'm still rather numb. But I'm trying to stay strong for my mom and grandma.

My mom is kind of holding it together. I think she's trying to stay strong for her mom too. But she's starting to accept that her dad is gone. She's spent the last 5 days at the hospital, and hasn't gotten much sleep. A couple of nights she stayed with my grandma at her house, or my aunt stayed.

My grandma is a total wreck. They were married for 52 years, and now the love of her life is gone. I'm not too sure how this is affecting her, other than tearing her apart. I've only seen her for an hour or two on Saturday. I just hope this doesn't kill her. She's 75, but in better health than my grandpa was, so I think she'll be ok.

The funeral is going to be next Tuesday, February 8th. Earlier, my mom asked if me or Erik wanted to do a scripture reading at the funeral. They want two of the grand kids to read something. Erik and I aren't too sure, since neither of us are very religious, and don't like talking in front of big groups of people. Plus I'm not sure if I'd be able to hold it together. Lynn's kids are religious, so two of them might end up doing it. We'll see.

I appreciate all the kind words you guys have shared with me. It makes it easier for me to move forward. You all mean the world to me.

I guess that's about it.

Here's a picture of Erik, my grandpa, and me when I was 2 or 3.



I hope you guys are well.

143

_Kevin

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin,
    I'm really sorry for your loss, but it sounds like it was time for him to go. We all know this is a natural part of life but that doesn't make it any easier to take. I hope all your family can adjust quickly to this and go on with your lives. I like the photo of you and your brother with your grandpa, he looks like a really nice man and I'm sure he played a big part in your growing up. It's really sad this has to happen but I know you must have many good memories to remember him by.

    Best wishes,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. kevin-

    i'm so very sorry, my friend. i pray that God will give you and all of your family, especially your mom and grandma, peace and comfort. family is everything and you guys seem close. families are there for each other and that's the way it's supposed to be - comforting each other, giving to and drawing strength from each other. these are the times when that closeness and togetherness is most necessary and evident.

    bless your grandma's heart, this is going to be the hardest thing she's ever been through. it'll take a while and she will never get completely over him. hang in there with her. and you hang in there as well. let us know how you're doing. you're in my prayers.

    peace/love - jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sticky- I am very sorry for you and your family. I will be thinking of all of you.
    DJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kev,

    I'm very sorry for your loss.

    Your Grandpa looks like he was *GREAT* guy!

    What a *HUGE* smile! :-)

    Make sure you give your Grandma lots of love and support, as I'm sure she see a lot of your grandad in you and your brother.

    I lost both my Dad(an only child) and my Grandpa with the space of a year, when I was your age; I wonder how my Grandma held up through it.

    But she lived to be 97!!! And we were all with her when she passed.

    Well, sorry to ramble...you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Love,

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete