August 25, 2010

Your Car Did What?!?

So Saturday, I get a frantic call from Kaija telling me to get to Garrett's place with my truck and a tow strap as soon as possible. She said Ian's car was stuck on a boulder. Now I was pretty confused, but she sounded pretty shook up, so I jumped in the truck and took off. What do I find when I get there?





Apparently, Ian had parked the car, left it in gear (it's a 5 speed), but didn't set the emergency brake. It popped out of gear and started rolling backwards. It came within an inch of hitting a tree, and then rolled right off the retaining wall, taking a rock down with it. The rock got stuck under the car, and there is sat.

A neighbor had lent them a jack, but it wasn't tall enough to lift the car off the rock, so I had to go home and grab my jack. Got back, jacked up the car, but we couldn't move the rock. The thing was just too heavy. So we got creative. I wrapped the tow strap around the rock, hooked it to the back of the truck, threw it in 4 low, and pulled. Popped out no problem.



The front bumper was still stuck on the wall, so I hooked the strap up to the back of their car and pulled it out too. It was an ordeal, and the police, as well as some annoying neighbors sticking their noses into things that they shouldn't, showed up. The neighbors were accusing us of doing something stupid at the time, and not taking the situation seriously and whatnot. The cop was cool though.

We were all just glad that no one was in the car at the time, especially the baby. After all the drama, we went inside and watched some tv, having some low-key fun.

That night, Erik and I went to the Slayer/Megadeth concert. Neither of us were incredibly excited about the show, but Erik won two free tickets from a radio station, so we figured why not. We both like Megadeth, but can only take 2 or 3 Slayer songs at a time, because it's pretty intense.

The show was actually really good, other than one stupid girl a couple rows in front of us. She was a small white girl, maybe 5'4". White wife beater, and a short mohawk to the top of her head. The rest of her hair was shaved, except at the very back of her head, she had her hair cut into a swastika. I can not figure out for the life of me why you would want to carve that into your head, and wear it like a badge of honor. That's not what the music is about, and just gives metal a bad name. We were pretty pissed off at her, and wished she was on the floor in the pit, so she could get her ass beat. But that didn't happen, so we tried to focus on the show instead.

After 3+ hours of really loud metal, and LOTS of headbanging, the show ended, but I ended up with a migraine (go figure). So I dropped Erik off at a friend's house for the night, and went home to bed. Woke up feeling much better though.

On Sunday, I hung out with Wyatt and a his friend Joe from work. Joe is currently in a band, and looking for a drummer. So Wyatt was talking me up really big, making me sound like the worlds greatest drummer. Now, I know that I am a pretty decent drummer, but I'm by no means the best, so it gets rather annoying when people do that. I don't like being put on a pedestal like that. So Joe and I jammed in Wyatt's room for a while. He was trying to teach me some of his songs, and was really impressed with how fast I picked them up and the stuff I was coming up with.

So after jamming for a bit, we went to their work, a bar, and hung out. They had some drinks, while I had a couple cokes. Joe and I got to talking, and he really wants me to audition for his band. So he gave me some cds of his songs, only guitar parts, and told me to learn them and to come up with some beats. I was really excited, because his music is a lot like Deftones, which is really fun stuff to play on the drums. Heavier than rock, but softer than metal. Somewhere in between. So I've been listening to those and trying to make some stuff up. It's nice to be challenged again. The stuff I play in E.M.P. is fun, but not too difficult. Hopefully things work out with it.

That's about it for now really. Pretty laid back week ahead, at least I hope so. The Minnesota State Fair starts this Thursday, which is ALWAYS a blast, and I think I'm going Saturday with Kaija, Ian, and Garrett. But I usually end up going at least 2 or 3 times, so I'm sure there will be more.

Hope you all are well.

143

_Kevin

For those of you who don't know, Dave Mustaine, who is the guitarist/vocalist for Megadeth, used to be the lead guitar player for Metallica before being kicked out of the band. He wrote a lot of their early material, and I think he did an amazing job. After being kicked out of Metallica, he created Megadeth, and this is what we got. This was one of their more 'radio popular' songs, but still bad ass.



Slayer, is just intense. But if you've ever played Guitar Hero 3, you've heard this song. While I'm not a big fan of the vocals, the drums are sweet.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting post. Freak accident with the car. It's a good thing they had you to help out. Was there any damage to the car?

    Who is going to fix the wall?

    Hope the rest of your week goes good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh awsome! I am going to the fair on Saturday to. See you there!
    DJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just some minor body damage, nothing too bad. After talking with the people at the complex, they're going to pay for it. All they need to do is get one guy out there with a forklift and put the rock back. I guess Garrett pays a 'grounds keeping fee' of like $200 a month that will cover it.

    DJ I'll see you there. Is your uncle going to brave it with the cast?

    143

    _Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Picks on microphone stand so neat - its a sign of a warped mind.

    ReplyDelete