April 16, 2010

A Night On The Street

So I wanted to talk about this earlier, but my post got kinda long and I had to leave for band practice. Oh yeah, I'm in a band too. I play drums, but write some songs on the guitar and am the "temporary" bass player. We don't play with one, but when it times for the studio, I have to have written and then play all the bass parts. One day we'll get a bass player, I hope. Oh well.

Anyways, tomorrow night I'll be volunteering with the Night On The Street. Which is an event where about 500 kids sleep in cardboard boxes in the street to help educate them, raise awareness, and raise money for homelessness. This year my mom is the coordinator and I will be assembling boxes for three hours and then working as security from 3-6am to help keep everyone safe, as well as all the other odd jobs they need me to do. I never participated in the event before, because I just never really cared. But for some reason I wanted to get involved this year, so I asked my mom what I could do to help. I know a few people who either have been or are homeless and want to do as much as I can to help people like them out.

On a side note, I was telling the singer in my band, Wyatt, about what I was doing tomorrow night and why I couldn't go to some stupid party with him. After I explained what it was about and what I would be doing, all he had to say was, "Why the hell would you want to do that? That sounds pretty gay." A, why wouldn't you want to help someone less fortunate than you, and B, why do people still feel the need to call everything gay? Since when is that an insult? You don't see people running around saying, "Oh that's so black." Or, "That's so mexican." So why the hell do people say that kind of shit with gay? There is nothing wrong with being a different race, so why the hell is there something wrong with being gay or bisexual? It doesn't matter. I wish people would get that through their think skulls and realize homosexuals are just like everyone else.

Well I think that's enough ranting for tonight. I better go get some sleep so I can stay up all night tomorrow. Hope all is well.

-Kevin

5 comments:

  1. Three of the thickest, heaviest, loudest bands ever don't/didn't have bass players:

    Axehandle, from Richmond, VA, were two drummers and one guitarist.

    Floor, from south Florida, were usually one drummer and two guitarists, one of whom is gay (Steve Brooks). Steve now leads Torche, who are also mighty heavy, though they have a bass player.

    Jucifer, formerly of Athens, GA, but now nomadic, are a duo of guitar and drums. Amber plays her guitar though a massive wall of amps. Last time I counted, I think she was playing through seventeen cabinets (and, yes, they were all on).

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, someone else has heard of Axehandle! HAHAHAHA Wonder if they're still around.
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I don't think they are. All three were also in Alabama Thunderpussy, who were much more popular, though not nearly as good.

    BTW, I've not only heard of them, I saw them live and their sole CD was my favorite of whatever year it was released (2004?).

    How on earth did you end up on a year old post mentioning Axehandle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHA, I was reading Kevin's latest post, and he mentioned he'd done NOTS a year ago, one of his first posts. And I have not been diligent on reading back posts, so here I am!
    How did you find ME here?! (Oh, I see the original nobody is you!)
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete