May 22, 2010

Sun Is On My Side

So on Wednesday I went and played some frisbee golf with Josh and Garrett, did fairly well too. Kicked it with them for a while before dropping them off and driving to Demian's house. Got there and helped him put the driver door back on a car he just bought and is fixing up. After that we jumped in the truck and took of to go look at the bike. It was kind of a long drive, so we just talked about random stuff. When we got there, D sat in the truck and I went to the door. They were just pulling up in their boat when I got to the door so I waited for them to dock and what not before they came over. Did the introductions and then we got down to business. I saw the bike for the first time in person and almost passed out. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, and looks 100 times better than in the pictures.

After I got over the shock, I took it for a ride around the block, and my only fear was resolved. It was the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. When you look at the picture, you think you'll have to lean really far forward to reach the handlebars, but you don't. I'm just the right height where I can reach everything perfectly, almost like it was built for me :-P. I biked back to their house and then Demian started going over it with a fine tooth comb. Checking the lines, the bearings, everything. The guy said he'd seen people buy motorcycles who weren't as picky ,which I thought was funny because Demian is a huge motorcycle guy. After it passed D's inspection, it came down to price. It turns out there was a lot of interest in the bike, including some guy that wanted it boxed up and shipped to Ohio, so I couldn't talk them down at all. I was only shooting for $150, so it was only $25 so whatever. Paid them $175 and loaded it into the truck. The bike is 6.5 feet long, and it just so happens my truck bed is 6.5 feet long. I couldn't get it in and have the tailgate close, so I had to put it in diagonally. No biggie. Jumped in and took off with both parties happy.

On the way back, we stopped at Demian's parents house so he could grab one of his trikes. He wants to do some more work on it before a festival in a couple weeks, so he figured this would be the perfect time to get it since I have a truck. We somehow managed to get the trike and my bike in the bed and we went to his house back in Uptown. Unloaded the bikes and went on a quick ride for a few blocks just to test things out some more. After that I went home and took it for a ride up to the BP to show Aaron. He was supper excited and started riding it around the parking lot.

Thursday, had a chiro, then band practice. I drove to the chiro, since I don't have a bike lock yet, but biked to practice. The guys were blown away by the bike since they had no idea I was getting it, and all rode it around the block. We played a couple of songs, and then fired up the grill. While that was heating up, we played a small game of badminton, and then ate some brats and ribs. After eating, we played a little more and then called it quits. I rode home and hung out with mom for a while.

I got bored pretty fast so I went for a bike ride. Started cruising around town enjoying the weather and the new bike. After about an hour I went home and got on the computer. Screwed around on there for a bit and then went for one last bike ride, probably for 45 minutes.

Today I didn't have any plans, but I slept later than I had planned. I guess the biking had worn me out more than I thought. Went for another bike ride, and then drove down to Erik's shop to pick up an axle for a car he is working on. Loaded all that into the truck and headed home with him since he just got off. Ate dinner with the rents, and went to help Erik a bit with the car. Once he had everything under control I went inside to watch a little tv. Right when my show ended I decided to go for a bike ride again. Just as I was getting my stuff together, Erik asked if I wanted to go on a ride. I told him that's what I was doing, and we went together. We took off with nowhere in particular in mind, and ended up at some random lake sitting on the shore. We stayed there for about 20 minutes before heading on. We again just went wherever, and biked all over town. Finally we were getting tired so we went home. When we got there I looked at a clock and realized it was 2 am. We had been biking for over three hours. I didn't think it was that much, but explained why I was tired. We made some egg bagel sandwiches and then he went to bed. I got on the computer again and started looking around at bike parts and then came here. All in all a pretty good day with lots of exercise. I'm hoping I'll be able to get in better shape with all the bike riding. We'll see by the end of the summer.

Pretty laid back weekend, probably just a lot of bike rides. We'll see.

-Kevin

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like things are going really good for you. I'm glad the bike turned out to be what you wanted and that you got it. You have really been making good use of it. I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete