May 4, 2010

Not My Weekend

So, I took Kodi up to my aunt and uncle's house on Friday night, and since Erik stole my truck, I took his car. Not the end of the world, just not as comfortable as my truck. It's about an hour drive up there which I spent listening to Bad Religion and smoking cigarettes. Great way to pass the time. Kodi loved the drive up and had his head out the window the whole time. It was a fairly nice day out with mild cloud coverage so it wasn't too bad having the windows down at 65 mph. Got up there and hung out for a while watching tv and catching up with everyone, just relaxing. Finally around midnight I decided to head home. Kodi was really sad to see me leave, but I'm sure he finally got over it.

The one thing I really hate about Erik's car is that the windshield has a big crack down the middle, just left of center so it's a little in my line of sight. I made it about half way home before I got pulled over. I'm not even sure where the cop came from or how they saw the crack, but they did. Pulled over to the side of the road and waited for the officer to walk up. She asked for my license and insurance, so I gave her my license and started digging around for the insurance card. Since it wasn't my car, I didn't know where it was and because my brother smokes pot, didn't want to dig too deep into his car to find it. So after checking the glove box and center counsel, I told the officer that I couldn't find it. She said that was fine, that she'd give me a form to fill out and then mail in. She took my I.D. back to the cruiser and ran it. At this point two other cop cars go speeding by with their lights and sirens on and the officer that pulled me over came running back up to my car and said she had to 'skedaddle'. She gave me back my license and handed me the form for the insurance and quickly explained what to fill out and where to mail it before she high-tailed it out of there. Got rather lucky because she only gave me a warning. As I'm putting the car back together and I noticed in the pocket on the door a small pipe of my brother's. DAMN am I glad she didn't look in the car. After that she would have torn the car apart and I did not want to go through all that at 12:30 on a Friday. Drove the rest of the way home and yelled at my brother to get his windshield fixed and then hit the sack.

Woke up Saturday and discovered we had no power. Great. My mom was freaking out because they had their dinner party later that night and had 16 people coming over. Then I explained to my parents what happened the night before. They were cool about it and my dad filled the form out real quick and gave it to me to mail. Around then my brother got home from work and we headed off to finish moving. My parents were trying to figure out what to do for the party if the power didn't come back so they were glad to see us leave. Got to Erik's house and loaded up his bed and some odds and ends. Quickly dropped it off at the house before running off again. There still wasn't power at my house and people were going to be showing up in half an hour.

On the way back to Erik's house, we were driving along on the highway through some construction. It was down to one lane and there were two cars in front of us. The car in front had their muffler fall off in the middle of the road and it bounced up and almost hit the windshield of the car in front of us. Instinctively, the car slammed on its brakes at 45 mph and we tried our best to stop. Tried. Ended up rear-ending them at 35 and smashing up their car pretty bad. We pulled over to the side of the road and quickly grabbed the debris out of the road. Then we went and talked to the other car. It was a husband and wife with their one year old baby in the back seat. We felt terrible once we heard about the baby, but she was fine and soon fell back asleep. The husband explained what happened and why he stopped all of a sudden. He acknowledged the fact that it wasn't my brother's fault and wasn't mad at all. He spent the next 20 minutes on the phone with his insurance agent explaining what happened. Once we exchanged information and made sure everyone was ok and everything was taken care of, me and Erik headed out. But I refused to let Erik drive my truck again. He was a little mad because it wasn't his fault, but I didn't care. Got to his house, loaded up the last of his stuff, and headed home. By then everyone had shown up so we decided not to tell our parents about the accident yet.

Unloaded everything and then me and Erik went to his friend Demian's house for the night. They were having a huge party and it was nice to see some old faces again. I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but I've been sober for over 5 years. I still like to hang out and have a good time, and they are all respectful of my decision so it isn't hard to be around the alcohol and drugs. After many hours of partying, I decided to head home around 5 am. Erik stayed there and slept on the couch.

Sunday, woke up and Erik and the bears (Yogi and BooBoo) came over and we had breakfast. Yogi had to go to work and Erik and BooBoo were heading off to the May Day festival. It's not really a festival, just a party in a park over in South Minneapolis. Lots of food and good music. I would have gone, but I was off to my aunt and uncle's, again. This time to pick up Kodi. Same boring drive up, but this time back in my truck. When I got there Kodi was really excited to see me and I could tell he was missing us all. He loves my aunt's family, but it's not his. Again I hung out with them for a while, but their kids had school the next day so I left rather early. Before I left though, my aunt (Lynn by the way) asked if I would be interested in baby sitting my cousins this summer. My uncle is a pilot and my aunt is a flight attendant, so they are both gone a lot. I said I was interested but had to think about it. My mom says I either have to go to summer school or get a job this summer. I don't really want to go to class, so this might be the perfect solution. Headed home, ate some dinner and then studied for my final the next day.

Monday, went the chiro and had an extensive look-over once I told him about the accident. He didn't see anything severe so I left after that. Went home and drank my newest poison that I discovered when Erik moved home, espresso. I've always been a coffee fan, but this shit is just amazing. So I made a quick double shot and headed off to class. Not a smart idea to drink it on an empty stomach before a big test though. I was really jittery all throughout, but made it through pretty well. We had a break while the teacher graded the tests and I hung out in the halls with some friends. When we went back in the teacher gave us our tests back and I got an 83%. Not bad for how little I read the book or studied. Plus I had missed a few classes because of migraines. But I'm satisfied with the results. He let us out early and I went home. After eating dinner I went to the BP to hang with Aaron for a bit. Same old same old there. Came home at midnight and watched tv and hung out with Erik.

I just finished registering for classes for next fall and now I'm getting ready for bed. Is it bad that I'm going to bed at 5 am? Probably. Not much planned for tomorrow, maybe throw a round of disc with Paul if it's nice. Below is a picture of the car we hit and a picture of my truck. Because of the steel bumpers, I only cracked my grill and broke my license plate holder. We definitely came out ahead.

Well that's it. I'm beat and am going to bed. I have some news on Cory, but I'll talk about that when I know more. Peace

-Kevin



2 comments:

  1. Wow, and I thought my life was full of interesting stuff....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I'm sure it is. And that wasn't really the kind of interesting stuff I like...

    ReplyDelete